What is Forest School?
Forest School at Newick C.E. Primary School provides all pupils the time and space to develop skills, interests and understanding through practical, hands-on experiences. It also allows staff to observe the children in order to then encourage and inspire individuals to achieve through careful scaffolding and facilitating. Forest School provides pupils with the opportunity to explore their local environment throughout the different seasons and to develop an understanding of how they can take responsibility for preserving the natural world that they live in.
We support the six principles of Forest School, which were agreed by the UK Forest School community in 2011 and we use these to underpin our planning and provision of Forest School at Newick CE Primary School.
- Forest School is a long-term process of frequent and regular sessions in a woodland or natural environment, rather than a one-off visit. Planning, adaptation, observations and reviewing are integral elements of Forest School.
- Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural wooded environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
- Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning.
Reception class Forest School is every Wednesday morning for Terms 2, 4, 5 and 6. In Term 3 it will be held every Wednesday afternoon.
|Term||Class||Date & Time|
|Term 1 / Sep 2019||Year 6 (Whales)||Wednesdays 1.10pm – 3pm|
|Term 2 / Nov 2019||Year 4 (Seals)||Wednesdays 1.10pm – 3pm|
|Term 3/Jan 2020||Reception (Otters)||Wednesdays 1.10pm - 3pm|
|Term 4 / Feb 2020||Year 5 (Turtles)||Wednesdays 1.10pm – 3pm|
|Term 5 / Apr 2020||Year 3 (Dolphins)||Wednesdays 1.10pm – 3pm|
|Term 5 / Apr 2020||Year 1 (Penguins)||Mornings|
|Term 6 / June 2020||Year 2 (Puffins)||Wednesdays 1.10pm – 3pm|
For health & safety it is important we have extra parent help during these sessions.